There are research and education projects that could come into our area economy that do not because they involve projects that are not a good fit for other existing organizations or institutions. They may not fit the mission, they may be too small or early stage in scope, or the overhead structures of the existing organizations or institutions may be prohibitive. HMI seeks to fill open niches in this landscape and provide bright people with bright ideas a flexible platform on which to pursue their projects.
- provides a responsive, agile and technically sophisticated environment for research and technology commercialization.
- facilitates cross-institutional partnerships with universities, government and the national laboratories
- develops funding sources for early stage technology commercialization, and
- provides a network of support for early stage commercialization efforts.
- enables and provides user facilities to support these endeavors